Posted on 2/21/2023
Department: Retail/Fly Buy
Supervisor: Retail Manager
Position Summary: The Air Zoo’s retail shop, The Fly Buy, is full of fun, science, math, art and creative books and gifts for all ages! This Retail Lead Associate provides accurate, efficient, and welcoming services to guests, while extending a positive guest experience to all, and helps maintain store inventory and backstock, achieve sales goals, and assists with the management of the store’s social media accounts and online store. The Fly Buy provides income for the ongoing support of the Air Zoo’s mission to inspire curiosity and all Air Zoo programs including education and community outreach. It is our grand finale for all our guests!
Status: Non-Exempt (Hourly); Full Time; qualifies for full benefits
Compensation: $15.00-17.00 per hour, commensurate with education and experience
Measurables: Positive guest experience as measured by surveys, written and verbal feedback, verbal interactions and other guest experience measurements; accurate retail store operations and successful teamwork. Assist in sales growth both in the Fly Buy and online by helping accurately and timely update the online store offerings and processing orders.
• Develop a comprehensive knowledge of the retail store operations and needs
• Effectively use product and museum knowledge in direct interactions with customers
• Initiate proactive conversation to better understand customer needs and make appropriate recommendations
• Out of this world customer service is a must; all interactions with customers must be positive, efficient, and enthusiastic
• Invest in the success of the Air Zoo by being fearlessly innovative and pitching new creative ideas and concepts
• Dedication to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion as part of the Air Zoo’s commitment to a welcoming environment for all
• Other duties and special projects as assigned
• Complete training of Retail Pro Software (RPS) and maintain proficiency in both the software as well as any associated products.
• Accurately ring up visitors’ purchases, and look up prices and inventory levels
• Place special orders for customers, phone orders and interdepartmental transfers and forward the appropriate information to the retail manager.
• Balance daily cash receipts and complete appropriate cash out procedures.
• Open store by counting cash drawer and opening draw through the RetailPro software and accurately close store by cashing out drawer and balancing a daily deposit.
• Run the popcorn cart when needed, including making popcorn, stocking appropriate snacks and beverages, cleaning the cart, and maintaining an accurate cash register.
Data & Inventory Integrity
• Efficiently use RPS to process transfers, damages, receipts, and price tags.
• Understand and adhere to inventory integrity standards and consistently follow all processes to maintain accuracy.
• Participate in the inventory process, merchandise storage and controls.
• Assist retail manager in labeling merchandise. Report damages and discrepancies to the retail manager for accounting, reimbursement, and record-keeping purposes.
• Assist with re-ordering store stock when asked and notifying store management when merchandise needs to be reordered.
• Help ship out online store orders accurately and timely.
• Assist with updating online store with new merchandise and maintaining and up to date home page.
• Maintain an organized and tidy backstock of inventory.
Sales Floor Appearance & Stock
• Demonstrate an understanding that the merchandise assortment is tied to merchandise display and maintain those displays constantly keeping them neat and orderly.
• Maintain an orderly and themed store to promote a stress-free and comfortable shopping experience for the customer.
• Maintain appropriate on floor stock levels.
• Be able to keep busy through out shift by working on appropriate tasks and asking manager or other team members when more tasks are needed.
• May be involved in occasional social media/marketing and website sales if needed and at the discretion of the Retail Manager.
• Frequently take photos of merchandise, shoppers, and the store, edit photos if needed.
• Consistently maintain up-to-date and on-brand Facebook account, which links to online store.
• With assistance from store management, create an Instagram account that links to the Facebook and online store; consistently maintain account.
• Work with Air Zoo Marketing staff to successfully maintain branded accounts that complement the Air Zoo’s primary social media accounts.
• Can-do, will-do attitude for every team member and guest of the Air Zoo.
• Ensure that Air Zoo operations procedures and policies are followed and assist in training employees and volunteers.
• Serve as back up team member for incoming phone calls and inquiries.
• Keep up to date regarding Air Zoo events and programs, ticket pricing, membership categories and pricing, general offerings, development opportunities, education programming, organizational policies and procedures and be able to communicate this information to guests, volunteers, and employees.
• Work with Marketing, Events, and Guest Experience teams to implement promotions, partnerships, and communications that promote the store.
• Assist the Group & Events staff in the greeting and coordination of arriving groups. Keep in touch with Group & Event team during regular business hours, while set up for daytime or evening events is happening within the Air Zoo. Greet third party vendors for events and answer basic directional questions.
Equipment Used in this Position:
1. General office equipment and network-based computer system, including Microsoft Office
2. Cash register and Retail Pro software
3. Cleaning equipment
4. Multiline Phone/Intercom system
5. Camera or smartphone
Education, Experience and Ability Requirements:
o High school diploma or equivalent is required o Minimum 2 years of customer service experience required
o Minimum 2 years of retail/cashier experience highly preferred
o Attention to detail and dedication to guest service
o Ability to lift and carry 20 pounds
o Outstanding communication skills, both verbal and written
o Passion for learning about the Air Zoo and guest experience excellence
o Effective communication skills verbally and in writing with staff, volunteers, and the public
o Ability to manage stressful situations and interact with the public in a positive manner in a fast-paced, changing environment
o Learning and understanding of customer service philosophy and procedures of the Air Zoo o Ability to undertake multiple concurrent tasks and work in an environment where interruptions are common
o Professional work habits and punctuality are very important in this position
o Must maintain confidentiality o Must be flexible, with the ability to work independently and as a team member
o Well-groomed appearance and compliance with the Air Zoo’s dress and personal appearance policies
o Ability to sit, stand, walk, or climb stairs for an extended period of time
o Will require ability to pull, push, carry, grasp, reach, stoop, crawl, and crouch
o General cleaning abilities
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
SCHEDULE: Full Time- Mostly Days approximately 9am-5pm, with only occasional evenings. Weekend availability is required for this position. 40 hours per week. This position is in-person/onsite at the Air Zoo in Portage, Michigan.
HEALTH REQUIREMENT: Because the Air Zoo is a public-facing organization, we encourage employees to be fully vaccinated again COVID-19 as defined by the CDC, but it is not a requirement for employment. The Air Zoo follows CDC and Kalamazoo Health Department’s guidelines for COVID testing, isolation, mask wearing, and may require masks to be worn by employees in certain settings to improve safety. Pre-employment drug screening and state & federal background checks are required for all Air Zoo employees.
COMPENSATION: $15.00-17.00 per hour, commensurate with education and experience
BENEFITS: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, free Employee Assistance Program, Life Insurance, Short Term Disability Insurance, Long Term Disability Insurance, generous Paid Time Off (PTO), paid holidays, complimentary family Air Zoo membership, 403B with Employer Match, pet insurance, and other benefits
COMMITMENT TO INCLUSION: Air Zoo is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. In keeping with our commitment, Air Zoo will take the steps to assure that people with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. Accordingly, if reasonable accommodation is required to fully participate in the job application or interview process, to perform the essential functions of the position, and/or to receive all other benefits and privileges of employment, applicants are encouraged to contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 269.350.2816
Research shows that women and individuals from underrepresented backgrounds often apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. We recognize that it is highly unlikely that an applicant meets 100% of the qualifications for a given role. Therefore, if much of this job description describes you, then you are highly encouraged to apply for this role.
TO APPLY: email your Resume, Cover Letter and List of 3 References to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have questions or need assistance applying to this position, please email us at email@example.com