COMPENSATION: $12-$15/hr, 32-40 hrs/week
WORK SCHEDULE: Monday – Friday from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Some weekends and evenings required.
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
JOB SUMMARY: The Marketing and Communications Assistant works collaboratively with the Flint Children’s Museum’s (FCM) Executive Director and Team to engage existing visitors and develop new visitors through traditional and digital media, and by working events, programs and outreach as a representative of FCM. S/he works on developing marketing plans, creates meaningful written content, and captures photos that demonstrate the value of our work to share with visitors, donors, and the community at large. S/he works ambitiously as part of a team dedicated to advancing the Flint Children’s Museum and our mission of inspiring a lifelong for learning through exploration and hands-on play.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Manages incoming and outgoing social media and email communications. Responsible for capturing photographs, organizing content for email, social media and print media, as well as creating promotional content, coupons, discounts, and partnership offers.
2. Assists with solicitation of donations, including mass mailings, annual appeals, annual fundraisers, special events, monthly sponsorships, in-kind contributions, and more. Manages donor database.
3. Manages volunteer applicants, coordinates volunteer works/schedules with projects based on priorities and available resources.
4. Attends events, programs, and outreach as a representative of FCM.
5. Provides general support to management staff including making phone calls, mailing, filing, emailing, scanning, faxing, and copying. Assists in maintaining office, operational, and programming supplies.
6. Seeks ways to streamline processes and communications. Facilitates and ensures communication among management team; helps maintain planning calendars and schedules for administrative team.
7. Participates in regularly scheduled staff meetings and composes minutes.
8. Identifies professional development opportunities for staff.
9. Maintains electronic filing systems.
10. Produces documents and reports as requested.
11. Maintains a positive and professional working relationship with community partners to promote the FCM.
12. Supports a dynamic, playful, comfortable, and accessible educational environment.
13. Consistently works in a positive and cooperative manner with all staff and promptly responds to visitor needs.
14. Remains current with FCM’s policies, standards, and communications.
15. Performs additional tasks as requested.
1. Bachelor’s degree in marketing or business administration preferred, or equivalent experience.
2. Minimum one-year experience in nonprofit or business administration preferred.
3. Must possess strong organization, evaluation, and problem solving/critical thinking skills.
4. Ability to work independently and see tasks through to completion with accuracy and without supervision.
5. Strong written and verbal communication skill, including strong interpersonal skills with a high level of comfort contacting and speaking with potential donors, community partners, teachers, visitors, and others.
6. Ability to prepare and present understandable and informative reports.
7. High-energy leadership, flexibility, intellectual curiosity, with an openness to working with a wide range of staff and volunteers in a fast-paced environment.
8. Intermediate computer skills with the ability to troubleshoot and work through information technology requirements. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Internet browsing, social media platforms, and email systems.
9. Must be able to prioritize and plan activities in a timely manner.
10. Ability to adapt to changes in the work environment and balance competing demands.
11. Flexibility and reliability to work evenings, weekends, and special events.
12. Discretion, confidentiality, professionalism, and commitment to excellence.
1. Must be able to perform work outdoors.
2. Must be able to climb, bend, stoop and reach.
3. Must be able to walk and/or stand for long periods.
4. Working in confined spaces is sometimes required.
5. Must be able to push, pull or lift at least 25 pounds.
6. Must be able to read and write various forms of material and recognize symbols and colors.
Volunteers and/or interns
Posted on the MMA website 4/4/2019.