Accounts Payable & Cash Receipts Coordinator - Detroit Historical Society
Posted on 11/22/2022
Reports to: Accounting Manager
Hourly Wage Range: $20.00 - $25.00, full-time
The Detroit Historical Society’s mission is to tell Detroit’s
stories and why they matter. Founded in 1921, the Society has been bringing
together diverse voices and communities around the stories of the region to
find their place in the present and inspire the future for almost 100 years.
Located in Detroit’s cultural district, the Society administers and develops
exhibitions and programming for the Detroit Historical Museum, the Dossin Great
Lakes Museum, and our Collection Resource Center at Historic Ft Wayne. The team
cares for nearly 250,000 artifacts in its collection and relies on a staff of
over 50 individuals to help to continue to bring Detroit’s vibrant stories to
the direction of the Accounting Manager, the Accounts Payable & Cash
Receipts Coordinator is responsible for processing all aspects of Accounts
Payable. This position also entails processing cash receipts and preparing and
all vendor payments on a weekly basis, including checks, ACH, and wire
accounts payable balances for all funds to ensure all balances are accurate.
balance due on vendor statements and
works with vendors to resolve any discrepancies.
with senior departmental staff on drafting standard operating procedures and
processing documents for all areas of accounts payable.
- Develops and proposes improvements
to all accounts payable processes,
including working with staff to implement the Financial Edge
NXT Expense Management System.
- Collects, reviews, and reconciles all corporate credit card receipts to
the monthly credit card statements, including working with staff
to move this process to the Financial Edge NXT Expense Management System.
troubleshoots, and resolves complex accounting issues as they relate to
accounts payables and works with department management and vendors, as necessary.
A/P related fiscal year end duties, including classifying invoices for proper
cut-offs, preparing spreadsheets to back up A/P balances for all funds, and
works with auditors regarding A/P issues.
all W-9 forms and sends W-9 forms to obtain EINs or SSNs to all the new
vendors, reviews regularly to monitor and follow-up with vendors for receipts
of W-9’s. Attaches images of W9’s to
master vendor records.
- Withholds appropriate taxes from payments where laws require and maintains correspondence and reports to the IRS.
Runs form 1099s for all necessary vendors and transmits information to IRS in a
weekly cash deposits and maintain the DHS change funds and process check
deposits using remote deposit capture software through the DHS bank.
cash receipts in the DHS donor platform – Altru.
all accounts payables, cash receipts, and month end files, both physical and
• Attends meetings as required and performs as a backup to other Finance staff.
• Completes other duties and projects
as assigned, directed, or as
required to facilitate Society business.
• Able to occasionally work hours
beyond the regularly scheduled workday as required and pre-approved.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for Successful Position
- The principles and practices of accounts payable and cash receipts.
- Manual and automated accounting systems. Experience in Financial Edge and Altru, a plus.
- General Ledger and accounting principles and practices.
- Budget controls, expense classifications
and procedures of non-profit entities.
- Organizing and prioritizing work, exercising independent judgment,
wisdom, and common sense within established procedures guidelines and rules.
- Interpersonal, verbal, and written communication for interaction with management,
employees, vendors and donors.
- Demonstrate good internal and
external customer service skills with the ability to problem solve.
- Utilize all Microsoft Office Suite applications in addition to
other related accounting software. Mobility
to use standard office equipment with occasional
bending, kneeling, stooping, and pushing and pulling. Able to retrieve data using a
computer keyboard and/or calculator.
- Work in an office environment with light to moderate noise levels,
controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical
- Handle confidential material and information in an ethical and
- Effectively communicate with, present information to, and respond to
questions from management, employees, vendors, donors and the public.
- Perform detailed work accurately and on
time and initiate and maintain necessary follow-ups.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting,
Business/Public Administration, or related field.
Nonprofit experience is a plus.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in accounts payable, cash
receipts, accounting, finance, or related working experience.
- Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
that provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to
successfully perform the essential job functions of this position.
- Certification as a Certified Accounts Payable Associate (CAPA) from the Institute of Financial Operations is a plus.
Compensation & Benefits (Full-time Employees only)
offers a comprehensive benefit plan that includes short/long term disability,
medical and dental coverage (with premium sharing) and other benefits.
• Paid Time Off (PTO) policy of 20 days per
salary range for this position is $20.00 - $25.00, depending on qualifications
Paid Parental Leave (Both Full-time and
• After 12
months of qualifying service in coordination with FMLA.
must have a driver’s license, reliable transportation and be willing to undergo
a criminal background check.
Please note Hourly Wage Range prior to sending résumé and cover letter
to the Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org No phone calls, please.